It was built by Dracula, who is also the hotel owner and manager. Hotel Transylvania is surrounded by a wide graveyard and a spooky forest. The reason that Dracula built this hotel is because it was a dream of his and his late wife, Martha; after Martha was murdered, Dracula found it necessary to build a sanctuary for their child, Mavis.
The hotel is meant to be a safe place for monsters to get away from humans, and had been human-free in 1898 to 2012. It is also the home of Dracula and Mavis.
The hotel itself is built like a castle. Located on the outskirts of Transylvania, it is surrounded by 400 acres of a haunted forest with the land of the undead around, tall mountains, and a moat full of piranhas; the hotel itself is isolated by the moat and is located on an island in it, with only a bridge built to it. It is totally secluded from the rest of the world and inaccessible to humans.
The default setting of the hotel was, as long as there is no bonfires or firework shows, no human would approach the hotel. However, in 2012, the taboo was broken by Dracula himself accidentally - in order to discourage Mavis to explore the human world, he made some zombies disguising as angry humans with torches, but they are so clumsy that they burn themselves; such scene attracts an explorer around, Jonathan Loughran, and he follows the zombies to the hotel. His appearance causes flurry to Dracula and the monsters, but they soon find out he is kind and energetic, and even becomes the Zing of Mavis. They get married eventually, and the hotel starts to accept human guests. As of the second film, Dennis was born and the three generations live there together.
- Since it was opened publicly since 2012, Hotel Transylvania would only be "human free" for 114 years.
- The interior of the hotel might be magical, given the enormous guests like Bigfoot and a giant spider, would never be able to get through conventional entrances.
- The room numbers seem jumbled. Mavis's room is 174 and is near the roof of the hotel. Bigfoot had 317 as his room.
- As of the second film, humans are now welcomed to hotel. Dracula put Johnny in charge of making the hotel more human-friendly. Such changes include televisions displaying the available activities.
- Dennis, Mavis, Johnny, and Dracula have their own rooms as well.